Sunday, February 27, 2011

BLOG ENTRY 5 | Robbie Cooper Link

Robbie Coopers project is something similar that I have studied in the past in a project I exhibited while doing my undergrad at CSUSM that was entitled evolution 2.0. The theory behind it came from a class I took entitled Theories in Cyberspace where our professor also had us make a character in Second Life and each of the students were put into groups and had to do a performance in class with our characters. For my project I simulated a human being stuck in a machine and was then forced to live through the machine as a sort of distopian view of the future of humans and electronic.

 I contrast this view with Coopers project where such as Alter Ego which shows more of a utopian type view that has a positive immersion between humans and machines. For example each of the people were able to change their appearance to how they wanted to be, if you are sick you could become strong, if you were a man but didn't want to be in real life you could assume the role of a woman. This resonated as a piece about identity and a positive outlook on how technology can shape our future The second piece took a different turn to see how this immersion with the screen particularly with war video games can impact the kids views on war and the reality of war.

I think that Robbie's research is commendable as he is examining both the postive and negative effects of the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment